Cantus and Chanticleer sing Biebl's Ave Maria Here's what happens when two of America's premiere male ensembles, Chanticleer and Cantus, walk into a bar...
Christmass Song Guess-o-rama
Resurrecting this for my kids:
from: December 15, 2008
I found this bit of fun over at Stepping Heavenward. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Guess the Original Christmas Song Titles
01. Felicitations for the Season
02. Sterling Carillon
03. Circuitous gambol of Festive Conifer
04.Awesome hibernal acreage
05.Altitudinous celestials acclaim
06. Senior flattened by cloven aviator
07. Covert observation of matriarch’s scandalous osculation
08. Petite birthplace
09. Sprightly venerable benefactor
11. Enquiry of mutual auditory perception
12. Hushed darkness
13. Noel – envisage blanched
14. Inaugural Yule
15. Royal Eastern trio
17.Theurgical cool guy
18. Matchless season
19. Full-grown enumeration of holiday hopes
20. Commencement of Yuletide complexion
Christmas Carol Game Answers
01. We Wish You a Merry Christmas | 02. Silver Bells | 03. Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree | 04. Winter Wonderland | 05. Angels We Have Heard on High | 06. Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer | 07. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause | 08. O Little Town of Bethlehem | 09. Jolly Old St. Nicolas | 10. O Come All Ye Faithful | 11. Do You Hear What I Hear? | 12. Silent Night | 13. I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas | 14. The First Noel | 15. We Three Kings of Orient Are | 16. Joy to the World | 17. Frosty the Snowman | 18. It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year | 19. Grown up Christmas List | 20. It’s Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas
Really cool and fun
You might remember this post from last year. Straight No Chaser’s very cool rendition of The 12 Days of Christmas give it another listen it is well worth it.
Apparently after their video went “viral” last year they got notice by Atlantic records, were reunited and cut an album. Check out the story.
I saw it first over at the Anchoress and I know others like Fr Kyle have linked into it. I feels good to be doing a little, very tiny part to help these great musicians get noticed – because when a lot of us share what we love very occasionally it makes a difference. Viva la Power of the Internet.
This made me laugh and think
I am still waiting for the debate over the “Golden Compass” to reach Harry Potter levels of hysteria. Or actually maybe not. I think there is much less wiggle room on the “Golden Compass” than there was with HP (which DH and DD15 have read and enjoyed). But it is definitely one thing on the “looking at but haven’t decided on list”. We don’t really go to movies and since the kids aren’t in public school it will most likely be a non-issue for us, but time will tell.
Over at Standing on my head there is a few wonderful thoughts on our aweful hymns citing one of the main issues… how the mass is misunderstood. My thoughts on that topic are here.
Be Still My Soul
I found this rather by accident while searching for a good version of “This is my song” with the following lyrics.
- This is my song, Oh God of all the nations,
- A song of peace for lands afar and mine.
- This is my home, the country where my heart is;
- Here are my hopes, my dreams, my sacred shrine.
- But other hearts in other lands are beating,
- With hopes and dreams as true and high as mine.
- My country’s skies are bluer than the ocean,
- And sunlight beams on cloverleaf and pine.
- But other lands have sunlight too and clover,
- And skies are everywhere as blue as mine.
- Oh hear my song, oh God of all the nations,
- A song of peace for their land and for mine.
Being that I love boys’ choral music I was then swept away into youtube music ecstasy and spent way way too much time listening to the various pieces. So I thought I would share the joy.