Only for Today
January 1, 2008 § Leave a comment
Back in November I posted this. It has become a bit of a reference point for me, something to look at when I find myself in need of a bit of encouragement. I really and only need to be focused on today. Plan for tomorrow and review what happened yesterday, but life is live in now; today is what we have to work with.
1) Only for today, I will seek to live the livelong day positively without wishing to solve the problems of my life all at once.
2) Only for today, I will take the greatest care of my appearance: I will dress modestly; I will not raise my voice; I will be courteous in my behavior; I will not criticize anyone except myself.
3) Only for today, I will be happy in the certainty that I was created to be happy, not only in the other world but also in this one.
4) Only for today, I will adapt to circumstances, without requiring all circumstances to be adapted to my own wishes.
5) Only for today, I will devote ten minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul.
6) Only for today, I will do one good deed and not tell anyone about it.
7) Only for today, I will do at least one thing I do not like doing; and if my feelings are hurt, I will make sure that no one notices.
8 ) Only for today, I will make a plan for myself: I may not follow it to the letter, but I will make it. And I will be on guard against two evils: hastiness and indecision.
9) Only for today, I will firmly believe, despite appearances, that the good Providence of God cares for me as no one else who exists in this world.
10) Only for today, I will have no fears. In particular, I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful and to believe in goodness. Indeed, for twelve hours I can certainly do what might cause me consternation were I to believe I had to do it all my life.
~Blessed John XXIII
I have become convinced that year long resolutions do nothing good for me. They are overwhelming. My one year long resolution this year has to do with one simple thing, I resolve to re-resolve daily for at least 300 days this year. With knocking out time for holidays, vacations and sick-days I think 300 is reasonable. I want the above to be my guide. So that is my one resolution.
The other different thing I am doing is themes for each month. This month’s theme is “Taking Stock” I really need to assess where I am in several areas. I don’t want to jump in and start making changes in my life without thinking about what is working and what is not. I want to make intelligent changes to my routines that will result in greater happiness, peace and productivity for myself and my household.